Hey Curlies! ❤
Meet the beautiful Chevon!
1. Tell us your name, where you’re from, how long you’ve been natural and a little bit about yourself!
– I’m Chevon Cleveland, a Jersey girl living in south Jersey originally from Elizabeth, NJ. I’ve been natural since 2006. I’m a mom, a risk and compliance officer, a friend and a lover of life.
2. What is your go-to natural hair style?
– My go natural style is wet and wild! Just my wash and go OR when its time for a wash, the huge top not piled on top of my head is always a crowd pleaser.
3. List 3 to 5 of your go-to or staple products for your natural hair?
– I’m all about saving a coin. When I’m tight on funds, I use African Pride hair mayonnaise. For the most part, I use Curls Unleashed and all of the Shea Moisture hair care products. I swear by Shea Moisture. More recently, I’ve been going straight to the kitchen cabinet and using extra virgin olive oil as a deep conditioner for a few hours while doing house work.
4. What do you like/love most about being natural?
– I love being natural because its so versatile! Being a curly girl is like being 2 women in one! When you straighten your hair it’s like a whole other personality!
5. How do you maintain your curls at night?
– At night, I use the Shea Moisture milk, pinneapple all my curls and rock the satin bonnet.
6. Have you ever big chopped or transitioned? If so, briefly tell us your experience!
– I transitioned. Took me about a year. Fortunately, I wasn’t a big fan of perms so I only got them once or twice a year. So, when it was time for a trim I simply asked for a little more to be taken off each time. Didnt take me long at all.
7. Do your family/friends support your natural hair journey? How about where you work?
– Everyone I encounter loves my natural hair. I get stopped alot and asked what I use on my hair and how i keep it moisturized. I’ve never had a problem at work either. Alot of other natural girls have asked for tips because they were scared to wear their natural hair for corporate america.
8. Do you know your hair type? If so, what is it?
– I’ve never been a girl to put a type to my hair. I have one patch of hair that seems to have gone rogue and is more of a loose wave than a springy curl like the rest of my hair. So, i just let it be wild and do what it does. It’s too difficult to put a type to 2 different types of hair on the same head.
9. The blog is entitled happycurlhappygirl, so what makes your curls happy? (Deep conditioning, protective styling, hot oil treatments etc.)
– Deep conditioning and getting my ends trimmed every 3months keeps my curls VERY happy. Without that I cant do anything with it.
10. What is one thing you have learned since being natural? What advice would you give a new natural?
– Since being natural, I’ve learned to embrace being ME. Big, wild lions mane and not feed into the magazines that say silky straight is beautiful. For new naturals, I’d say, be patient and understand that you will go thru many products until you find the right combination for your hair. Don’t go by what others do. Your hair is unique! So do what suits YOU! ❤
Thanks Chevon for sharing your story with us and showcasing your beautiful face and curls!! I wish you the best on your hair journey!
Follow Chevon: @Chevgurl10
If you would like a feature showcasing your natural hair story, PLEASE email me email@example.com. I would love to have your story and beautiful photos of you and your natural hair on Spotlight Fridays! XO! 🙂
Until next time Curlies! XO!